Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Any suggestions on which food to eat to increase appetite?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Hilary Humm-Beatty, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Cat Veterinarian

Good afternoon. I am Dr. Beatty and am happy to help you with your cat this afternoon. If you can provide me with a little more information it would be useful to best address your question. How old is your cat? Is he/she currently not eating well? What are you currently feeding?

While I await your response, I will give you some general information about feeding cats. You can certainly try any major brand canned cat food to try to stimulate his/her appetite. The canned foods are generally very fragrant and cat's appetite's are stimulated by their sense of smell. You could also try a bit of turkey baby food. Please make sure with the baby food that it does not contain any powdered onion or garlic. Sometimes a bit of canned tuna or salmon will also be yummy to cats. Obviously, baby food and canned fish are not designed to be a maintenance (long term) diet for your cat but can be used over a few days to stimulate their appetite. If this does not work, it will be important that you touch base with your cat's regular veterinarian to talk with him/her about your cat's appetite. It is important for you to know that cat's can get very sick in just a few days when they are not eating well. Cat's are very good at hiding illness until they are quite sick. Generally, if they are not eating it can be a good sign that there is some sort of illness that needs to be addressed.

If you have additional information for me or any follow up questions, please feel free to respond to this thread. I will be happy to provide additional information as needed to answer your question. You can continue to follow up with me once you have accepted and rated the question. Dr. Beatty

------

My goal is to provide exceptional service. I hope my information has been helpful for you. If it has, please take the time to rate my service. This is valuable feedback for me and for other clients seeking help for their pets. If for any reason you cannot provide positive feedback, please do respond with additional questions so that I can give you the information you need.