Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat go through bouts where he seems blind and ataxic and almost falls over, then is ravenous. he is about 3 months lod

Customer Question
he go through bouts where...
he go through bouts where he seems blind and ataxic and almost falls over, then is ravenous. he is about 3 months lod old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: he is half the size of his litter mate, and is very skinny despite eating. He will only eat canned food
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Little one
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: he is a barn cat
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
He was completely normal and on course with his litter mate. Then last week we noticed he was not growing quite as much as the other one. Then one really hot day he was having a hard time breathing and was drooling, but when it cooled off seemed much better. The sudden "blindness" started Friday and comes and goes. One minute he seems fine, and is walking and running around like normal and the next he is walking into things and vocal and walking "down" on his hind end
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

Sure, let me go take one

I'm unable to offer a call at this time but I would be happy to continue assisting you online.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. If it fails to load, the files are likely too large. You can also use websites like Imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If this does not work and you’d prefer to text them directly to my cell phone, let me know. There is an additional charge for this, but it can make the job of sending pictures or video much more simple. Just let me know what works for you. I’ll be standing by.

https://youtu.be/fncS6LSvlk4

Thank you for the video, Shaunna. Has Little One had any veterinary care thus far? Is the mother a cat who has had a strong background of veterinary care, such as knowing her FIV/FeLV status?

When did these symptoms first appear?

Veterinary care of the mother is unknown as they just showed up at the barn. The symptoms showed up the middle of last week after a really hot day. The litter mate is completely fine, and twice the size of little one. I was worried about FeLV as well ( I have been a vet tech for 23 years) but not all they symptoms add up. I can't get a local vet appt until 8/9 as our vet is away (downfall of living in a small town)

Thank you for the additional information. As I am sure you're well aware, not all conditions show textbook symptoms.

I think you're taking the right route having this kitten examined. I imagine your vet will likely recommend bloodwork, a fecal analysis, urinalysis, etc. I would personally be concerned about FIV, FeLV, FIP and toxoplasmosis. If the risk of head trauma exists, this would also be on my list of concerns. Until the kitten can be seen, I would focus on regular feedings to ensure the blood glucose isn't dropping into unsafe ranges and would also use a vitamin/mineral supplement like Pet-tinic for good measure. http://www.allivet.com/p-1800-pet-tinic-liquid-4-oz.aspx?sku=15170&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqvvLBRDIARIsAMYuvBGeshXMaET8dTf53rbqt1RaAf0iQs6Bh78m2vC19kg90g57XNspyX8aAjYcEALw_wcB

Checking in. How is Little One?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse