Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My kitten is 12 weeks old and she eat, goes to the bathroom,

Customer Question
HI my kitten is...

HI my kitten is 12 weeks old and she eat, goes to the bathroom, and allows us to hold her but she's very scared and won't play AT ALL. She stays in her room on her bed all day unless we take her out to cuddle, which is frequently, about 3-4 hours a day. We got her on monday from a breeder. We initially thought she wasn't socialized but not playing with different types of toys is concerning. She doesn't expend any energy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your kitten?

Nope, don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What breed of cat is she?
2) Have you discussed this concern with the breeder?
3) Has your vet evaluated her yet?
4) Are their other cats in the home?

It's a Scottish fold female. Breeder won't answer questions. No vet yet. no cats in the house . Was going to take her to the vet tomorrow

I think you're making the right decision, particularly since the breeder is avoiding contact now that you have questions. I am concerned that they may know that she has a reserved, shy or fearful personality and simply did not want to disclose the information for fear that she would not have been adopted. An examination would be wise. Your vet will likely want to perform some diagnostics like bloodwork, FIV/FeLV testing, fecal examination, etc. to ensure that the behavior that is being displayed is not due to an underlying health problem. Sometimes a week of time is not enough for a young cat to adjust to their new household, so hopefully she will overcome this concern with time. I would recommend using a feliway diffuser in your home to help reduce stress and help her acclimate. It may be of some usage to leave her in a single room for 1-2 weeks before giving her full roam of the house, as she may be overwhelmed with all the changes and space available to her. If you're able to share a video in the near future of her behaviors, I may be able to assist further in acclimating her and helping to socialize her.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse