Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

One eye seems to be mattering and painful, she normally lets…

Customer Question
One eye seems to...

One eye seems to be mattering and painful, she normally lets me clean them, but not since yesterday. Her eyes are normally not weeping and I cannot get into thevet til tomorrow night

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Persian about 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Persian's name?

Casllie Sorry Callie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Persian?

She

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Persian girl Callie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on with this eye and you will need to keep watch of this issue closely for the next couple of days. If only one eye is affected, then the chance of a foreign body in the eye, a scratch to the cornea, or an ulcer is more likely than an allergic issue. Generally allergic issues (conjunctivitis typically) occur in both eyes rather than just one.

If this was a foreign body or scratch to the eye, then the issue really would need to be seen first thing tomorrow when your vet is open. If your girl is pawing at the eye, or just seems very uncomfortable, then I would definitely encourage you to get her seen tomorrow at the latest, and if she is really painful - then get her seen at an ER vet today.

If she otherwise seems in good spirits and not in pain (as you say), then you could try some cool tea on the eye for 24 - 48 hours to see if the issue improves. The tannins in the tea can often be enough to help improve a mild conjunctivitis. Anything more serious than this and it will have little effect. To do this, just make up some fresh black tea, let it cool, then use this on some cotton wool to gently wipe the eye 3 - 4 times per day.

As above - if she becomes painful, or if the eye issue doesn't improve by the morning with some tea, then I would encourage you to take her along to your local vet to get the eye examined. It is always better to be safe and proactive with any pet eye issue. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your girl Callie. How is she doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E