Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is about 9 weeks old and his 1 eye is bulging out and appears misshapen. It's also cloudy with some coloring in a

Customer Question
He is about 9...

He is about 9 weeks old and his 1 eye is bulging out and appears misshapen. It's also cloudy with some amber coloring in a spot. It started 3 days ago. The first 2 days it watered a lot. Today it's dry. I've been applying vetropolycin to the eye.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Pirate, because his other eye didn't form.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He's a farm cat and was 1 of 6 born to a very young tiny mother. He's much smaller than his siblings.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing with the eyes?

From what I can see in this picture, the kitten is suffering from severe ulceration. The surface of the cornea also looks deformed, though I cannot tell if this is from ulceration alone or not. If I were in your shoes, I would have this kitten examined and discuss treatment. There is a very good chance that Pirate has no vision in the other eye (I suspect this may be microphthalmia where the eye is present but under developed) and may lose vision in the eye pictured. If this happens, he no longer needs to be a barn cat and would do best having both eyes removed surgically and kept indoors for the rest of his life. Eyes, even if they do not possess vision, can become infected, injured, etc. and if he is eventually unable to see from either of them, the risk of running into objects and injuring the eyes even though he's blind is increased. Removal, thus, eliminates many painful afflictions that can occur or develop over time. For the time being your vet staining the eye, performing a basic vision test and determining if the remaining eye is viable will be quite important.

Checking in. How is Pirate today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse