Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I have a 3 month old male kitten that has pale yellow

Customer Question

I have a 3 month old male kitten that has pale yellow diarrhea and has lost a lot of weight. I'm waiting for the results from his stool sample but I'm wondering if it could be Giardia or Coccidia? He also drinks a lot and only eats a little. Sometimes will vomit. Very lethargic but still tries to play & walks around with his tail up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: I'm sorry but is there a charge for this contact? I'm on my iPhone and I'm not sure if I can make a payment with this
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please ignore the request for the phone call that appears as the website generates this automatically. We can continue talking in the chat format.

There is a charge to speak with the vet, myself, yes. If you would like to continue, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already paid a fee with my master card yesterday and I still don't have any answers
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 2 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Imm following up behind Dr. Emily.

You are correct that his issues could be from either coccidia or giardia. If the tests come back positive then treatment should begin immediately with appropriate medications

You can try anti diarrhea medications like propectalin and feeding a bland diet of chicken and rice to help bulk up his stool.

There are also feline probiotics I would recommend adding into the diet. A good one is feline fortiflora which you can get online or some walmarts carry it. Mix into food once a day.

If the stool tests come back negative we may have other issues going on internally with this kitten.

If the tests come back negative this could be inflammatory bowel disease ( which can present at any age) and requires an ultrasound to get a clearer diagnosis.

We can also see pancreatitis with these symptoms which an ultrasound would catch.

Sometimes unfortunately we can also see a disease called Feline infectious peritonitis that can present like this. It is a diagnosis made from exclusion so if you are treating and treating and the kitten is failing to thrive this is something to consider.

Next diagnostics I would recommend is the ultrasound of his abdomen if his stool tests come back normal.

This will help screen for pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease and FIP (feline infectious peritonitis)

Good luck with your kitten I hope this helped

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.