Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I just read a case similar to what I have been experiencing…

Customer Question
I just read a case...
I just read a case similar to what I have been experiencing with my senior cat, but I think mine could be worse. I have a 17 and a half year old female cat, she has always been pretty healthy. Also she has always been only my cat since I was only 6 years old and as a kid with a responsibility I did not make a great job, and we have only visited the vet about four times in her whole life. Thankfully she has been super healthy until recently. I think it may be important to mention we are very attached to each other, as for when I started to be more absent her health started to decline, more specifically a little over a year ago when I had the opportunity to take a long vacation. At the time we used to live with my parents in the same house she has always lived on, she stopped eating had constant diarrhea and with a couple of shots and my return she got her health back. As I work very far from my parents’ house I had to move out because I live in a chaotic city. I didn’t want to move her out with me because of her age and it seemed it could be hard on her to adapt to a new place in which she would be alone for entire day, (she likes company and my stay at home mom and my home office dad have always been around with her although my parents and my cat did not interact with each other, they just used to breath in the same room) I used to go back every weekend to see her, sometimes more but as we were not sleeping together anymore she started to have health problems again, the same ones as when I was on vacation. Finally I got a job that allows me to be with her a lot more but I still have to move out of my parents’ house so she moved in with me and got her health back for about two months. For the last couple of weeks she has been having health problems, and they seem to be rapidly getting worse. She has been having trouble moving, she started to slow down a lot in walking, jumping and even taking a seat for about a month now and it seems that every day is a lot more of hard work for her, she even goes to her litter and can get herself all in before doing her business and everything is a mess now. She has been having constant diarrhea, very liquid with some chunks on, it sometimes seems like it has a bit of mucus on it and almost every time it has a small amount of blood on it maybe 4 droplets or more. Sometimes it doesn’t seems like she is quite finished and walks a little more and2 poops in another place but a very little amount. A week ago on Friday she started vomiting everything she ate, then seemed to stop and then come back. I went to look out for a vet who gave her 3 shots, one for the pain, one for gastritis and one antibiotic. He told me it was likely for her to have a renal failure, and she should be on an digestive care diet, she is an aggressive cat so he told me to be sure of his diagnosis he must get her some blood work but for her age it was almost impossible to retreat the blood, as he would have to give her some anesthesia but it would be likely for her to not wake up. And it would maybe be a lot of trouble and stress for her as for it was very very likely the results would show she was in fact sick and the treatment would do very little for her because of her fragile state. Since then she has almost stopped eating, not her digestive diet cans, or the food she used to eat. A day she eats a couple of bites of ham or tuna, and takes in a lot of water. She still has diarrhea but as almost all she takes in is water her poop is almost liquid. I have been reading a lot trying to get informed about what she might have, how to deal with it, and even if the best option is putting her to rest. She has been losing a lot of weight, and seems hungry every time I approach the kitchen, but would not eat. She only wakes up to take a bite or two, poop and drink water and if I’m lucky enough she might stay awake for not more than 10 minutes for a cuddle session. She does not seem to be in pain. I already stablished the three things she loves most, (getting up when she hears the dishes, waking me up in the morning and eating her treats) She do’s 2 out of 3, but I still wonder how long should wait until I have to make the decision as for me, it feels like I’m watching her die in slow motion and it is very hard to deal with. I do not want to wait until I see her suffering before I make the decision, as I do not want her to suffer at all. But I’m afraid it would be too soon and I would be robbing us of our last mornings together. Sometimes it feels like she was waiting for us to have our final time together, to say our goodbyes and spent two months together and finally let go. What should I do? Is there anything I can do for her? Any kind of treatment I can give her? Should I wait no more? S
I’m very sorry for this to be too long, and for my broken English, this is my second tongue. As I mentioned before, we did not frequent any vet, so I really do not know who to talk to. Please help.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am so sorry you have to post a question like about your long time friend. I know this is the hardest decision anyone who has a Pet has to make. You have done a great job getting her to 17 years old. If this is Kidney failure as suspected by the Vet. Generally we have the Cat on a special diet and do subcutaneous fluids under the skin to keep the toxins from building up in the body. She is showing you signs at this time she is tired and weak. Her time of 10mins cuddling is all the strength she has. The fact she is not eating is another problem because cats when they do not eat find their Liver affected with Hepatic Lipadosis which is Fatty liver Disease. This too allows the toxins to build in the body to the point it can affect her body and mind.

The prognosis/what will happen is not good and she will continue to decline ahere she can no longer spend the precious 10 mins of cuddling with you.

Her body is giving out and even though she loves you, he quality of life is failing. I cannot tell you what to do, but you need to be seriously considering saying goodbye. I know this is the hardest answer I ever have to give, but ultimately you will have to make the decision. Sometimes loviing them means letting go rather than waiting the extra time.

Please hit reply and we can disuss this. I know it is hard for you not only becuase of language, but because of your love of her.

Joan

I hope the information I supplied gave you some clarity on what you want to do. I hope I was helpful and I am here if you need further help.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech