Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I'm struggling with my 17 year old cat. She's been fighting

Customer Question

I'm struggling with my 17 year old cat. She's been fighting allergies, which we believe are seasonal, for the past several years. The depot shot only lasts about 4-6 weeks before she's miserable again. Her ears will break open and bleed. She's down to 6 lbs now and I'm struggling with getting her injections as the vet has to follow protocol and doesn't want to treat long term. I understand there's side effects but at this point she's down to her final few months and I would just like to keep her pain free. I'm looking into what other options are.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Pumpkin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your question, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your cat is miserable it is difficult to watch a really itchy animal. I agree with your vet that constant depo shots are really really tough on her health. However there are alternatives. There are pill, liquid and transdermal forms of the medication that we can use to get more control. Most cats are tough to give things to by mouth which is why the transdermal form is great. A compounding pharmacy like Roadrunner, Wedgewood, and Pet Apothaccary (and there are many more) can make the medication in a gel that you apply to the ear and the medicine absorbs through the skin. This way we can experiment with using it twice a day, once a day, or every other day and get consistant safe relief. You can also start a medication called Atopica which can be used in addition to steroids or in place of steroids that's much safer long term. I'd talk to your vet about transdermal steroids or Atopica which will get your Pumpkin relief and be much safer. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan