Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 7 yr old female CA Desert Tortoise and she was

Customer Question

I have a 7 yr old female CA Desert Tortoise and she was going to the bathroom and then what looked like her insides came out of her rectum. She pulled it back in but I don't know what this is.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the desert tortoise's name?
Customer: Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Biggy?
Customer: I don't think so. She was taken to the Vet not to long ago and she said I was doing a great job caring for her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Biggy. Sometimes a cat can have a rectal prolapse - where the rectal tissue comes out when they are straining to go to the bathroom. At this time, it is good that things have gone back to normal with the appearance back there. It is important that she continues to not have this tissue come out. If it appears again, you can take a picture of it and then take her and that picture to your vet to have them specifically make a diagnosis. If this tissue is coming out and not going back in, it needs attention as it can dry out. They can have this happen if they are having persistent lose stools and are straining.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This isn't a cat. It's a CA Desert Tortoise.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'd rather not call. Can you please just leave me a message?

I'm very sorry for that. The question got posted in the cat veterinary category and the Tortoise description I though was a Torti colored cat. I'm sorry for that. I'm not that familiar with Desert Tortoise so I'm going to opt out to let another expert chime in.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for trying to help. Have a nice weekend.

I'm sorry for that mix up on my part! I'm hoping for the best for this girl!