Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

In 3mos jake lost 4lbs. then he lost fur on his legs,paws

Customer Question

in 3mos jake lost 4lbs. then he lost fur on his legs,paws and tail. the vet did a full body xray which was normal. the blood test revealed the hyerthyrodism. he is taking methimazole 5mg (1/2 2x a day. his fur come back but his weight has not. he eats 3/4 meals per day soft stuff
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: no. he was always biting, overgrooming and very hyper
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: jake, 12 yrs old
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: jake
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?
Customer: he seems to softly meow, sometimes when i touch his stomach. he'll play but he really just likes to sleep
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Jake is being treated for hyperthyroidism, but is not putting back on the weight he lost. Is that correct? Can you please tell me how long he has been treated for the hyperthyroid condition? Thank you. I will be standing by.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no weight gain. he has been treated for 5 months

Thank you. Last question, is Jake still actively losing weight or is he just maintaining at the weight he lost prior to being treated?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he has lost 2 additional lbs
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
did you get the last answer?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
jake has lost t2 additional lbs
There was a technical difficulty. I apologize for the delay. There are other causes of weight loss in cats that are being treated for hyperthyroidism. The first is to make sure the thyroid levels are under control. Adequate control means the T4 level is in the "lower half of the normal range." Just getting a thyroid level (i.e. T4) in the normal range but on the higher end is still technically an unresolved hyperthyroid level. I would encourage you to look into that to be sure. Other causes of weight loss include unrelated conditions, but common in older cats, like intestinal disease, neoplasia, pancreatitis, parasites, and kidney disease.
I will be standing by for your response.
If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry