Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 4 year old Orange Tabby was drooling excessively and

Customer Question
Hi, my 4 year...

Hi, my 4 year old Orange Tabby was drooling excessively and meowing oddly. We bundled him up and looked in his mouth and he has a cut on the side of this tongue. Not cut all the way through, but a small gash. He has eaten a little bit of wet food and drank some water since I found out what it was. It is Saturday, can I wait until Monday to take him to my Vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the tabby will be able to digest that. What is the tabby's name?

Griff

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the tabby?

He is inside/outside, very sweet and fat!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear that Griff has a cut on his tongue, it's no wonder he was drooling and meowing.

It is very strange that he was not bleeding excessively. Mouth tissues, particularly the tongue are very well vascularized and the slightest cut/nick tends to bleed excessively.

My concern would be whether there is something wrapped around his tongue (string for example) that is cutting into his tongue and cutting off circulation, or that this was secondary to him biting an electrical cord and the cut is actually a burn. With electrical shocks/burns we can see other serious symptoms develop too, such as cardiac (heart) damage and irregular heart rhythms and pulmonary edema (fluid in his lungs).

Does his breathing pattern seem different at all or is his breathing labored or raspy?

Is this cut bleeding at all?

Even if this is truly just a gash that luckily didn't bleed much systemic antibiotics could be necessary.

The safest thing is to have him seen by a veterinarian and sedated to closely examine the area. But he ate so they would need to wait a good 8-12 hours to safely sedate him.

Your options are:

1) Watch him closely for signs of breathing changes or severe lethargy, and recheck his tongue to see if you can see anything wrapped around it or under the tongue and if he seems to be breathing OK, and you cannot see anything different, flush the cut with an antibacterial mouth rinse safe for cats (for example CET oral rinse, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24579 ) feed a very soft diet (canned food and broth) and have him examined Monday (no food after 7pm Sunday night). If you choose this route watch him very closely this weekend.

2) Have him examined tonight or tomorrow morning if he remains stable, or immediately if you feel his gash is worsening, his tongue begins to turn grayish or blueish in color, or his breathing pattern changes. No more food, but clear broth or water are ok.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian