Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 9 month old kitten. He is an indoor kitty who was…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 9 month old kitten. He is an indoor kitty who was originally born as a barn cat but I rescued him at about 6 weeks of age. He was full of parasites when I got him but we took care of worming him. Strange thing... after he yawns, which is excessive, he sometimes does this strange sniffing pose. He has bad breath. How would I treat gingivitis in a cat? Could there be another issue? (the weird post yawn expression) For a time, he was also passing frank blood with his bowel movements. Not melena, but drips of blood after a soft brown stool which smelled horrendous. That has resolved in terms of blood, but he still has terrible smelling stools. Any thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

Otherwise he is fun, playful and quite dominant of the other three older cats at home

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

No, he's fixed ok

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
His name is Brutus
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** *****'s signs, we can see yawning in cats due to oral discomfort. As you noted, it tends to be excessive and some will chatter their jaws or grind their teeth. And if there is any dental infection eroding the bone between the mouth/nose then this could cause the sniffing. That said, since gingivitis at his age is usually viral (herpes, calicivirus, FIV), the first two viruses can cause flu signs and that too could make him sniff.

With this all in mind, while you could try brushing his teeth (there are special OTC kitty safe toothpastes and brushes), I do have to note that with all of these in mind, treatment-wise our kitties tend to need vet intervention at least to start. The viruses can be tested for and if found then usually a combination of kitty safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam), antiviral medication +/- antibiotics are used to manage these cases. Of course, if he has severe dental tarter or rotten teeth, we'd want those removed to get the mouth settled so brushing can then be used to keep it in good stead.

Otherwise, I'd note that the blood you saw in his stools would have been from colon inflammation as a side effect of those loose stools. Now its good they settled, but if the odor remains that can hint at imbalance in the gut bacteria population. So, further to worming, consider using an OTC probiotic (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to help normalize that. As well, just as a short term binder of that odor, you can also add a small dose of OTC activated charcoal (a pinch or two) to his meals. So, those could be used at this point but if he has gingivitis, then we'd want it checked as the above usually is needed to get them settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian