Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our dashound cross pug keeps developing a bumpy rash around

Customer Question

Hi our dashound cross pug keeps developing a bumpy rash around her mouth and nose it looks quite sore and causes swelling. We've had several trips to the vet and all that happens is we get antibiotics and a big vet bill but no one can work out why this is happening they keep saying they think it's allergies. We give her a claratime tablet daily but it still occurs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pug's name and age?
Customer: Bella and she is about 4 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: The rash sometimes appears on one foot as well, She is a serial licker lol she licks her paws and face a lot. Similar to a cat she spends hours grooming which I fear makes it wirse Worse I meant
Customer: The rash sometimes appears on one foot as well, She is a serial licker lol she licks her paws and face a lot. Similar to a cat she spends hours grooming which I fear makes it wirse Worse I meant
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 2 months ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

How often does this occur? Does it seem to be seasonal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi she is obviously a dog as well lol it keeps saying cat veterinarian. I just said she acts like a cat with constant grooming.
We have only ever had it appear in winter/autumn (we are in Australia).
We have a newborn baby and the vet trips/ bills every few weeks are just getting out of hand. But I don't know what to do for her? I've tried changing foods etc to see if it was that, we keep our grass super short and my husband sprays the weeds because we thought maybe it was that but it just keeps happeningI've attached a picture, it gets much worse then this and takes over the whole black bit of her mouth and she seems to transfer it to her foot or her foot to mouth as at the same time she always has a paw that flares up

The picture looks very typical of a deep pyoderma. Pugs can be prone to this and it can often be difficult to tackle. Has she ever had any swabs of her skin for bacterial culture?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No they haven't they suggest a biopsy last time we took her but it was an extra $300
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is that the same thing? I just said no as I paid for our other dog to have a biopsy of a lump cut out of his leg and they just said it was fine and didn't say anything else

A swab is to try and culture any pathogenic bacteria that may be better targeted by specific antibiotic therapy. A biopsy is to take a sample of the affected tissue to try and identify any disease process going on in the skin there. The two are different procedures.

What antibiotic treatment has she had so far?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi her antibiotics previously have been noroclav

How long a course has she had?