Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our dashound cross pug keeps developing a bumpy rash around…

Customer Question
Hi our dashound cross...

Hi our dashound cross pug keeps developing a bumpy rash around her mouth and nose it looks quite sore and causes swelling. We've had several trips to the vet and all that happens is we get antibiotics and a big vet bill but no one can work out why this is happening they keep saying they think it's allergies. We give her a claratime tablet daily but it still occurs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pug's name and age?

Bella and she is about 4 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

The rash sometimes appears on one foot as well, She is a serial licker lol she licks her paws and face a lot. Similar to a cat she spends hours grooming which I fear makes it wirse Worse I meant

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago

How often does this occur? Does it seem to be seasonal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi she is obviously a dog as well lol it keeps saying cat veterinarian. I just said she acts like a cat with constant grooming.
We have only ever had it appear in winter/autumn (we are in Australia).
We have a newborn baby and the vet trips/ bills every few weeks are just getting out of hand. But I don't know what to do for her? I've tried changing foods etc to see if it was that, we keep our grass super short and my husband sprays the weeds because we thought maybe it was that but it just keeps happeningI've attached a picture, it gets much worse then this and takes over the whole black bit of her mouth and she seems to transfer it to her foot or her foot to mouth as at the same time she always has a paw that flares up
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago

The picture looks very typical of a deep pyoderma. Pugs can be prone to this and it can often be difficult to tackle. Has she ever had any swabs of her skin for bacterial culture?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No they haven't they suggest a biopsy last time we took her but it was an extra $300
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that the same thing? I just said no as I paid for our other dog to have a biopsy of a lump cut out of his leg and they just said it was fine and didn't say anything else
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago

A swab is to try and culture any pathogenic bacteria that may be better targeted by specific antibiotic therapy. A biopsy is to take a sample of the affected tissue to try and identify any disease process going on in the skin there. The two are different procedures.

What antibiotic treatment has she had so far?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi her antibiotics previously have been noroclav
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago

How long a course has she had?