Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

URI that has not been treatable with doxy or Clavamox. Upper…

Customer Question
URI that has not...

URI that has not been treatable with doxy or Clavamox.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Upper respiratory infection, sneezy, sounds phlegm-y.

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Stella is 5 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

She's been on Clavamox for three weeks and doxy for two weeks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I would like to start her on zenaquin to go with the doxy. What do you think?
7/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is she having eye and nasal yellow discharge as well?
She is in oflixicin eye drops (hope I spelled that right), no fever, is otherwise playful and happy, but she sneezes a lot and sounds like there is so much phlegm in her throats. When examined, her chest sounded good.

okay thanks for the additional information. Sorry for the delay in response. Usually I don't recommend starting 2 antibiotics at the same time because some of them can cancel each other out. In many cases we try to avoid using a drug like marbofloxacin in cats because it can sometimes cause an issue with the eyes. But if you were going to start it you may need to discontinue the doxycycline. Another option that can be used in cats is a drug called azithromycin . Sometimes that can be effective in cats with chronic upper respiratory issues. Has he been tested for Felv/FIV? That would be good to know because these diseases can cause an immune deficiency whihc may affect how they respond to treatment

My girl is PRA N/N and free of both FIV and Felv.

Okay that is good that she is negative for Felv and FIV. So you can inquire from your veterinarian about starting on the newer antibiotic to see if it helps. If those don't work a couple of things can also be done. One is to have a respiratory test performed which can determine what exactly is causing her symptoms by looking at DNA. The other is trying to rule out if she possibly has a polyp which is a mass that is in the nasal passage that can sometimes occur in young cats.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian