Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

In early July, I found a couple of fleas on him. He had been…

Customer Question
In early July, I...

In early July, I found a couple of fleas on him. He had been given a flea treatment in mid-June and was not due for another for about another treatment for about a week or so when I found the flea. So I purchased a Saresto collar at that time and put it on him. He continued to scratch, etc. and seemed really bothered, so I then took him to the local Pet Smart where they gave him a flea treatment and groomed him. He seemed fine for a few days but then started chewing the base of his tail. He chewed away the fur on either side of the tail base and has big red/raw spots. He also has scabs on belly from scratching. We did not put the Saresto collar back on him after doing the treatment at Pet Smart. We tried giving him some Benadryl but that did not seem to alleviate his symptoms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the flea's name and age?

Okay. Yes, I agree he probably needs to see the vet. His name is ***** ***** his is three.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ernie?

I don't think so. He's been pretty healthy and happy until this episode.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Although he received the flea treatment at PetSmart, I would recommend putting the Seresto collar back on. It can take up to three months to kill all fleas in all life cycles especially with flea baths. The Seresto collar will continue to kill any fleas that hatch from eggs on his body. The collar will also kill any that land on him from the environment such as the home and outside. Because he had fleas on his body, they will also be living in the environment so those need to be treated as well. Vacuuming does a great job as does washing any bedding he is around in hot water. Also, the flea bites can continue to be irritating even after the fleas have died. Dogs bite and scratch and create secondary infections due to flea bites so sometimes a short course of a steroid or an antibiotic is needed. Unfortunately we cannot prescribe medication through this site though. Over the counter you can find a topical spray to use to relieve some of the itching and irritation though.

Please let me know when you return and what questions I can answer further for you.