Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is 9 years old and he suddenly began to refuse to

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My cat is 9 years old and he suddenly began to refuse to walk. He is physically able to walk and jump up/down off things, but will only do so under duress. He will hold up his front paws and act very hesitant to put them down. Even when he is lying down, he is holding his front paws in a strange position. When I pick him up, he is like dead weight. He had a normal skeletal exam, normal blood work (CBC and chem profile), temp is normal. he is having xrays today. He will eat and is outputting urine but has not had a bowel movement for a few days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I am aware of, however I have considered that possibility as we have a new kitten in the house that he tries to avoid. I thought maybe he could have jumped from our balcony to avoid the kitten. That said, we have not been able to pinpoint any pain points.
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: the sick cat or the kitten/
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?
Customer: I had a litter of foster kittens for the month of June. All were treated by me for respiratory infections and conjunctivitis. Currently, I have a third cat with a raging conjunctivitis. I am keeping her separate and treating her for that. The kitten is currently health-appearing, but he is a terrorist with the two adult cats. Its been a tough month.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Have any results been given from the X-rays? Do you have copies to share? Can you tell me what areas were imaged?
2) Is he on any medication at this time?
3) Is he declawed? If so, what feet?
4) Can you share video of his gait and the odd ay he's holding his paws?