Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I am not sure what's wrong. I can't get a regular appt with

Customer Question

I am not sure what's wrong. I can't get a regular appt with his vet for 3 weeks. Mm
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Ok. It's hard to explain. I know he seemed a little constipated so I am trying to treat that at home. He is indoor only cat. He still eats good. Course I been giving treats like tuna or wet food to make sure he would eat. He is a talkative cat and still chatty. No whining like in pain. Even when I feel around his stomach and such.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Maverick
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maverick?
Customer: I am worried because he seems off. Like not as playful. Today I saw him laying with his head leaning on the water bowl (which is why I worried). And he is an attention seeker. But I think he has been clingier than usual too
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern. Is Maverick still drinking? Do you feel he is drinking MORE than normal since he was laying near the water bowl?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't seen it today. But I haven't seen him drinking today but saw it a couple days ago. Today he seems more lethargic and I just picked him up and it appeared he had urinated a little and was laying in it.

Oh, poor buddy. Are you able to check his gum color and see if he is pink?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He didn't like it too much. It appears light pink to me

How old is Maverick?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
4 years old.
I do have other cats. He is the only one acting unusual

Oh ok, that is good to know. It is going to be difficult to diagnose exactly what is going on with him without doing a physical exam but I'd like to assist however I can otherwise.

I saw you thought he seemed constipated. Is he passing stools that are hard or not passing stool at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know about now. But about one week ago he passes some hard. No bleeding. So the past few days i was trying some wet food as I read hard food can cause problems. And have been trying to treat him for that. I don't know if it's any better. His belly seem like it might be full or bloated. But it doesn't feel different from the others and he doesn't seem bothered when I play with his stomach

Offering the wet food is a good idea. Still have dry food available though since that is what he is used to. You can also give laxatone which you can purchase over the counter, to help with constipation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the advice. I took him and it was emergency surgery for a bladder blockage. Basically I was told that or he would die. Now I wait and hope for the best. Thanks again

oh you did take him in? I'm glad you did. I hadn't heard from you for a while so I was worried. Is he at the hospital now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took him and the vet said take him to emergency. So I did. They just called. He is in recovery

That's good news. That is correct that having a bladder blockage is an emergency. Typically they are very painful when their belly is touched. I'm surprised he didn't mind being handled earlier.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is a tough one. He was a stray so I always say his attitude is because he is "from the streets" lol

I'm glad you were able to take him in. Do you have any questions about anything going on with him at this time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. They said he will stay with them overnight. They said some numbers related to the kidneys were elevated but that those usually come down but they are gonna recheck

Yes, that sounds reasonable. They will want to be sure he can urinate on his own without getting blocked again before going home.