Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat will no longer eat the regular food I've been buying

Customer Question

My cat will no longer eat the regular food I've been buying for years. She has no medical condition. Do cats get tired of eating the same thing all the time and should I try other foods?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Naomi age 11. She's totally fine just doesn't like the food. I've been giving her tuna and she scarfs it done.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Naomi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Naomi?
Customer: Not really. She just doesn't seem to like her food anymore.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Naomi. How long was she going with not eating her regular food (how long before you started to offer the tuna)? Did she start to lose weight? Is she still bright and alert and being as active as normal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Dr. Bruce. She was only nibbling her food for a few days so I thought I would try the tuna. She gulps it down so I don't think there is anything medically wrong with her. She is acting completely normal otherwise.

Alright. Some cats can slow down with eating of their regular food. Sometimes it is due to environmental issues like stress or heat or noise. Some can have medical reasons for not wanting to eat as well of the regular food - typically though this continues and they start to lose weight. Some can have oral issues that make chewing on harder food more of a challenge such as dental disease or oral sores. Could she be one that has figured out that she can hold out to get tuna? Some can be very smart and figure out that they can "train" their owner to give them something that they really want!