Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

He just had a seizure could it be the fluoxatine JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

He just had a seizure could it be the fluoxatine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bandit and he is about 15, I only give a pill every other day but I do think I acrewed up and gave him.one wed and thurs, I changed my days.of work and therefore it confused me with the days of meds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?
Customer: He is on the pill for peeing on the carpet not in the litterbox
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Adverse effects from fluoxetine in cats include anxiety, irritability, sleep disturbances, anorexia, and changes in elimination patterns. Overdoses causes vomiting, hypersalivating, mydriasis (wide open pupils), and vocalizing. Seizures weren't seen in a study of 860 single agent exposures to fluoxetine in one study. Seizures arising at such an advanced age in cats are usually due to brain tumor; meningioma is most common. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** vet apt. today at 330. fearing the worst.

You're welcome. I understand. Every day is a gift at Bandit's age. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?