Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

Is Frintline CAT-0 017, feline tabby is indoor 2 year old

Customer Question

Is Frintline CAT-0 017
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: feline tabby is indoor 2 year old healthy weight all shots up to date. got outdoirs briefly while daughter looking after her - me on vacation. cat is active still pkayful but losing fur. started ti teade abd scratch hair loss in patches on side and tummy area. no visible sign of a scratch bite fleas or mites.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the tabby's name?
Customer: Esther. Essie for short
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Esther?
Customer: She has Beyond dried cat food and Royal canin wet food. Canin wet food.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
catfood is Beyond dry food and Royal
Canin wet food. She has been having a Greenies catnip fkavor dental treat in the evenings fir about 2 weeks
why is she losing patches if fur?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no sign of a wound scratch fleas or mites. what's wrong? how to treat?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern. Did this just start since you have been on vacation and your daughter has been looking after her?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

My primary concern with a situation like this is what is called psychogenic alopecia. This is typically a stress related condition where cats relieve their stress by excessively grooming themselves. We tend to see hairloss on the entire abdomen. Sometimes it is also found on the inside of the front or rear limbs due to easy access.

The cats can cause secondary infections if their irritate their skin too much, but typically the excessive grooming resolves when the stress diminishes and the routine goes back to normal. One thing that can help is the the pheromone Feliway on her bedding and places she spends time.

Also, sometimes an anti-itch spray can help deter the licking as well.

Hello, just wanted to check in and see how things were going today.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily