Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 13-week old cat has scabs and hair loss on his head near…

My 13-week old cat has...
My 13-week old cat has scabs and hair loss on his head near his ears and the back of his ears. I just noticed them and our vet is closed. He's been on amoxicillin for the last week, finished yesterday. Could these be a reaction?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/27/2017
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assess with your concern today. Thank you for attaching the photos.

I do see the crusting on the ears. Do you ever see him itching at the area? This is not typically a reaction from the antibiotic amoxicillin and is likely unrelated. What was he on the amoxicillin for?

Not that area no. He was on it for an upper respiratory infection.

oh ok. Thank you

Although the crusting started around the time of the antibiotic, it is likely unrelated. The issue I worry about the most with crusting on kitten's ears is the fungal infection ringworm. They also can get it if they are bothering at their ears due to an ear infection or ear mites, but those are itchy and you would typically see him shaking his head or itching at the ears.

He was at the vet last Thursday - they gave him his 2nd vaccination and did a fecal sample test that came up negative. He doesn't really itch his head or shake it at all.

Was the crusting present during that appointment?

No, I just noticed it today because he seemed to have lots of hair loss

Ok. Although it is important to do the vaccines and check his fecal sample, this does not exclude ringworm as an underlying cause of this hairloss and crusting. If it was a bacterial skin infection, the amoxicillin would have actually helped the issue, not made it worse. Although you were just at the vet last week, this is something that needs to be checked out since it is new. If you are looking for ways to treat this at home, I can direct you in that direction, but I must caution you that ringworm is contagious to people so without testing to know if that is present, be extra careful

Okay - I'll get him into the vet tomorrow.

I do think that would be best. Do you have any further questions prior to the appointment that I can assist with?

No thanks. Is this an emergency? I'm very nervous now.

No, it is not an emergency. Just wash your hands after handling him and try to avoid picking at the ears at this time. The vet can take a sample of the hairs from his ears and test for ringworm on a special culture plate as well as check for yeast or bacteria on the skin surface.

If not finding a cause, the best treatment is typically a generalized topical medication in the form of a wipe that has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties

Okay thank you

You're welcome

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian