Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I cleaned her litter box last night and she has solid

Customer Question

I cleaned her litter box last night and she has solid white stools.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mocha and is she is approximately 1 year old.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mocha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She has a strong ammonia smelling urine and she likes to drink water out of my sinks and toilets if they are open. We give her fresh water every day in her dish and she doesn't seem to drink it. We bought a new auto watering feeder to see if she would like it better if it wasn't open all day.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

White stools indicate a lack of bile produced by the liver, bile isn't being released by the biliary system of the liver, or there's an obstruction in the biliary tree (gall bladder, common bile duct). The ammonia smell to the urine can be a good clue that her liver isn't functioning properly as such as liver can't detoxify nitrogenous wastes properly resulting in the build-up of ammonia in the body. If these symptoms persist, Mocha's vet will want to perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests paying particular attention to Mocha's liver tests +/- ultrasound her liver and biliary system. If Mocha is otherwise well, I would be patient for up to 72 hours to see if her stools and urine odor normalize.

It's important to note, too, that urea splitting bacteria in the urine can split urea into two molecules of ammonia. That odor, then, can represent a bacterial urinary tract infection. A complete urinalysis as part of her Mocha's diagnostics should identify such an infection, if present. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.