Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have adopted a 15 year old stray cat. She is very often

Customer Question

we have adopted a 15 year old stray cat. She is very often sick , once every 3 days on average.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: she keeps being sick. we feed her 4 times a day totalling 3 satchets. She weighs 4 kg and the recommended amount of food is 3 satchets. Her food will consist of cat food and also tuna chunks in spring water. She always seems hungry and keeps meowing for more.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: we call her Kitty
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: no, but she is 15 years old
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for adopting an older cat. Vomiting in an older cat can be from dozens of things; cats vomit with virtually every illness that they get. Even with heart disease, a main symptom is vomiting.

If she is thin despite a good appetite and being always hungry, I would check her for hyperthyroidism. It is a treatable condition seen mainly in older cats, that causes a cat to be constantly hungry but to lose weight and vomit.

Kidney disease, heart disease, parasites, pancreatis, inflammatory bowel disease, and intestinal cancer are other conditions that could be causing her vomiting and weight loss.

The best place to start would be a physical exam and a blood test for hyperthyroidism; that is what I would do if she were mine.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you may have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you saw my responses! How is she doing?

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if you have more questions.