Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is losing her hair and has little scabs it started by her ears and then her belly and now up her sides I thought it

Customer Question
She is losing her hair...
She is losing her hair and has little scabs it started by her ears and then her belly and now up her sides I thought it was ruins written but now that I seen pictures in sure it is mane I can't afford to go to the vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bocephus may 26th 2011 she is a girl and fixed and my baby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I have 3 other care she is the only one that has this they are ask well taken care of
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 3 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry Bocephus is experiencing this problem. Were you trying to express 'ringworm,' when you wrote 'ruins written' in your question?

Does she itch and scratch these areas and/or excessively lick or bite at the areas on her sides?

When did this first start?

I am sending you an offer to call you, as you requested.

Kind regards,

Cher

Just message me she just licks and licks and clans bet seeks continously
Cleans her self

Ok, no problem.

I'm typing your answer now,and appreciate your patience.

Okay

What you describe, sounds like it could be ringworm, but that's very contagious, so if none of your other cats have symptoms, that can be ruled out. There are other conditions that can cause what you describe. One is feline psychogenic alopecia; this causes excessive grooming, hair loss and little scabs/sores, if it's done over a period of time. Here is more information:

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/psychogenic-alopecia-in-cats/

------------

Sometimes, there is no actual 'cause' or diagnosis for this condition, but, stress can be a factor. If she is stressed or anxious for some reason, like any changes in the household, your hours, etc., get a Feliway plug in diffuser; this emits cat calming pheromones that only cats can detect, and helps diminish stress. Here is more information:

http://www.feliway.com/us

------------------

You can also try oral over the counter calming treatments like Rescue Remedy for Pets OR Composure chews. Chose to give one or the other, but not both. You can find these products in pet supply stores.

Another condition can be 'miliary dermatitis;' this is caused by fleas. Even though she's an indoor cat, she can still be affected by fleas and some very sensitive cats are allergic to flea saliva and just one bite can cause a body wide reaction, so considering starting her on a monthly topical flea treatment like Advantage, Frontline, or any other sold by your vet, might be helpful. Don't ever use flea treatments sold in supermarkets or pet stores (I think they sell Advantage and Frontline in Petco/Petsmart, so that's okay) because they are not effective and cats have had very serious adverse reactions to them, sometimes, fatal! Stay away from Hartz, Zodiac, Sergeant's, and others, NOT sold by your vet.

If she has mange mites, these are very itchy and she would need a 'dip' by a vet in a special solution, to cure it.

Since this started near her ears, she may have ear mites that fall out onto her fur and cause the itching in different parts of her body. If she has brownish-black debris, resembling coffee grounds in her ears, this is a sign of ear mites. You would need to clean out her ears with a big cotton ball with cat ear cleanser on it, and then put ear mite medicine in her ears. You can buy ear mite medicine in pet supply stores.

If you have a VCA Animal Clinic near you, they offer an online coupon for a free first visit, so that may be a good option for you:

https://vcahospitals.com/free-pet-exam

--------------

You can also try contacting the organizations below, for help with paying the vet fee. I feel it's very important for her to be seen by a vet in person for a definite diagnosis and treatment.

https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

-----------

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

----------------------------------

For now, just watch her carefully and make sure none of the scabs look infected, then she would need immediate vet attention.

I hope all will be well with Bocephus and please let me know how things are going. Thanks!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your kitty, Bocephus. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist