Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat continues to have a watery eye. I took him to the Vet

Customer Question

my cat continues to have a watery eye. I took him to the Vet and he said he could see nothing wrong with the eye. Is there anything I do to relieve the watering
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Scooter 9 years
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Scooter
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: No they said he looks in good health
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Scooter. There are a number of possible causes for Scooter's runny eye, and hopefully your local vet looked to see if there is an ulcer on the surface of the eye. For this, he or she would have put some dye on the eyeball to see if there was a disruption in the cornea. If you didn't notice them do that, then this would be the primary concern here. If they did this and it was all clear, then other most likely causes include anything from conjunctivitis (inflammation of the tissues surrounding the eye), to a foreign body under the eyelid, or even ongoing herpes or calici viral infection. Whatever the case here, you will need to continue to keep a close watch on this eye. If the eye looks otherwise normal, then you could try a little cool tea on the eye 3 - 4 times per day for the next few days. Just make some fresh black tea, let it cool completely, then use this on some soft cotton wool, to gently wipe the affected eyelid 3 - 4 times per day. The tannins in the tea can often help to settle a mild conjunctivitis.

If Scooter starts pawing at the eye, blinking his eye more or squinting this eye, then you will need to get him seen again, perhaps by another local vet. Here they may need to sedate Scooter to have a closer look at the eye, check behind the eyelid for a foreign body, and to take a swab from behind the eyelid to culture for herpes and calici virus. They could also prescribe an antibiotic eye ointment if they are suspecting conjunctivitis here as well.

All the best with Scooter and hopefully his eye settles soon. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Scooter. How is he doing at the moment?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E