petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is acting lethargic and feels cold to the touch,

Customer Question

My cat is acting lethargic and feels cold to the touch, especially his ears. He has not eaten much yesterday or today, but will eat a few bites when I give him fresh wet food or some chicken. He has IBD and also idiopathic HCM. He is a 12-year-old neutered male. He is drinking okay. He's walking around a bit but moving slowly. His IBD has been bothering him for months and he has lost a lot of weight, recently weighing 5 lbs at the vet. He has diarrhea despite trying limited ingredient diets, fiber added to his food, prescription sensitive stomach diets, etc. We tried some prednisone and still that hasn't helped. The fiber has bulked up his stools a bit. He goes to the cardiologist yearly and at the last appointment they said that his heart murmur had not progressed from about a 3, and all looked well. He takes atenolol daily. I am wondering if he is lethargic because he has not eaten well the last couple days? We tried a new food which was a different limited ingredient diet and he has not liked it. Today I gave him some of his old food he liked, but he only ate a coupe bites. My vet is not open until tomorrow and I'm not sure if there's anything I can do for him now.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Update 3:56 EST: My mom brought me a can of that cheap cat food that smells awful and has the gravy. He is currently wolfing it down. He also was hanging out in a cooler area of the house by the water bowl, laying on a mat there. I closed the window in my bathroom so it would be warm and have him in there eating now. He's still moving slowly but seems more alert. He also ate a little shredded chicken I warmed up in the microwave. His ears still feel cold but he does not feel as cold as he did.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Riley today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Cats with IBD will often have flare ups and when they do, they most often are nauseous and don't want to eat. Trying to entice him with aromatic foods is a good choice. Even if he is still drinking, if he has not been eating well for 36 hours, he is likely a little dehydrated, so adding additional warmed water or broth to the food he is accepting may help.

If he is not moving around much, that may explain his feeling cold and eartips are going to get the least circulation (especially if his heart function is not that great). To monitor his heart disease, try to count how many breaths he takes in a minute when he is sleeping. If it is over 30 breaths per minute, it can indicate possible progression of his heart disease.

If he continues to ingest the new food, and his breathing is good, it sounds as if he may be stable until he can see your vet tomorrow, but if he starts to vomit or act lethargic, I would seek veterinary emergency services.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Riley. How is everything going?

petdrz