Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat is 21. Has been diagnosed with a small amount of

Customer Question

My cat is 21. Has been diagnosed with a small amount of fluid on the lungs. Was given lasix syrup in the amount of .05ml in the am and .75ml in the pm. I have been given lasix tablets to give her when she has rapid breathing issues. She was being give the tablets every other week which seemed to kind of "reset" her breathing rate back to normal. The fluid seemed to maintain it. It's been about six months and her breathing rate is now close to 50bpm even with the liquid twice a day. I find that now the tablets are having to be given to her once a week now. But her rapid breathing seems to only subside right after she's been given a tablet then goes back up again about 4-5 days later.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Shadow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: Nope
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Shadow.

It's not uncommon for cats with pulmonary edema or fluid surrounding their lungs to require increased doses of lasix to control them; the fact that she's done so well for as long as she has is almost short of a miracle. But she is a cat after all which likely explains it:)

Typically, the rule of thumb when it comes to lasix is to give the dose which effectively controls the patient's symptoms. Which basically means that if she's doing well with the tablets given once a week as opposed to every other week, then this is her new dose....or it could be given every 4-5 days, if that's what is required. Whatever is required is the dose she should be given if she were my patient.

There's always a risk, of course, if her kidneys aren't stable but this is one of those situations where we're trying to provide quality of life for as long as possible. The goal, for me at least, would be to provide her with reduced fluid in his lungs so that she can breath easier.

I hope this helps, Deb

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's so hard figuring out what the best dosage is. It's almost trial and error. She's eating great, using her litter box on the regular and drinking like a fish. She seems, knock on wood, to be doing everything like she always has except with the usage of the litter box and the drinking of the water more frequently, which was to be expected. I just can't keep her breaths per minute down below 40 - 45. My vet didn't really explain the tablets effects vs the liquid effects. I know it's the same medicine, just in different forms, however the dosage is different between the liquid and the tablet. The tablets seem to hit her a little harder. She's almost wired I guess would be the best way to explain it. Her pupils get really large. It seems to hit her harder than the liquid form. However, it takes longer to get her breaths down but it does eventually reduce. I guess keep giving her liquid twice a day and a tablet once a week and pray at this point. I'm sure I know the answer to this already but do cats show resistance to the medicine over time. Like it'll stop working as well as it did at first?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that I've been off my computer and have just now seen your additional question.

I really can't explain why your vet has prescribed liquid and pills although every pet practices differently; this just isn't a protocol with which I'm familiar.

However, my response remains the same: her dosage amount is what best controls her symptoms, whatever that "amount" might be.

It's not that cats necessarily develop resistance, it's that the underlying disease process progresses which requires more drug to control it.

Eventually, her condition will catch up with her although it gives me no pleasure to say so:( But, it's still pretty amazing that she's doing so well.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We had to leave town for a few days so I'm relying on a friends diagnosis. Her breaths per minute are about 40 to 45. She was given a lasix tablet Monday eve and by last night needed another one. I just don't think the liquid lasix as working as well as it was. Im on my way home now to see for myself how she is. I'm gonna call her vet and get her in for an exam next week. I think that may be the best thing at this point. She's not showing and signs of distress or abnormal behavior. It's just her breathing rate is so up and down every day.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Respiratory rates will vary throughout the day in cats and dogs and don't remain at a steady level. However, as you probably know, 20-30 breaths per minute is the norm for most cats at rest so hers are a little higher.

That's great that she's not showing any signs of distress but it's always a good idea to have these sort of patients rechecked on a regular basis.

Deb