Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I adopted her from a vets office here in town about 1 1/2

Customer Question

I adopted her from a vets office here in town about 1 1/2 ago. They told me she was already spayed. But I just came back from vacation and she looks like she is pregnant. Weight gain in abdomon only not soft like fat but not hard as a rock either. I use to breed shelties and it feels like that, firm but not hard. her sides have even expanded. She was always afectionate but, now hisses at us.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: No other then she has always been inside but since the warm weather she darts out the door when ever it gets opened. Sometimes almost tripping us up to get out.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your "spayed" cat may be pregnant. Can you contact the vet where you got her to confirm that she is pregnant? They can take an Xray to see for sure if she is.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if my answer was helpful, and if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But, could that be possible she was suppose to have been spayed already
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

If she was spayed, her ovaries and uterus were removed so she could not get pregnant. If she is pregnant, she was not spayed.

We usually look for a scar to tell if a cat was spayed. It is possible she had a scar but it was from something other than being spayed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure she has one we looked but can't tell she has a place but it just looks more like parted hair.very faint.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Your vet probably saw a scar and assumed she was spayed, but she may have a scar for another reason. The only sure way is if there is a tattoo; when shelters spay a cat they often leave a little tattoo there so you know she is spayed.

I once spayed a cat at a shelter that had a scar, but she looked pregnant so we went ahead; her scar was from a C section.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They said she had been brought in for spaying by a young teen and when it was time for pickup the girl said her mom said she could not have her because her mom was allergic. So she was there till I took her.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I would call them up and have them confirm if she is pregnant or not then. Since they gave her to you as spayed, they should be willing to check or even Xray her to tell if she is or not.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

If they spayed her, she may just be gaining weight. The only way to tell is to have her examined.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if my answer has been helpful and what you find out!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my last responses; I did not hear back from you!

Please let me know if this was helpful and what other questions you may have.