Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat hasn't left my bed all day and won't drink or eat or

Customer Question

Hi my cat hasn't left my bed all day and won't drink or eat or even walk around. He also won't take any treats which he absolutely loves
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that any of us have seen, he slept with me all last night like he always does and just didn't get out of bed this morning. And when I came home this evening he was still there and he always comes out to greet people when they come home
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he's almost 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Oscar is unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your cat over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and does not want his treats makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your cat to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Oscar's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.