Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is a 10 yr old cat who never has been sick, wednesday 7/19 she started laying under the bed and stop eating and

Customer Question
She is a 10 yr...
She is a 10 yr old cat who never has been sick, wednesday 7/19 she started laying under the bed and stop eating and moving her bowels, she did urinate Friday 7/21, she does not want to eat except for a small treats we give her. She went to the doctor but they only found some pain in her knee, then we went again, they drew blood but it seems most of all was ok. Only a little fever. They gave her an IV, some antibiotics, vitamin 12 shot and send her home. she still lies under the bed without eating, does not drink water only through a syringe. she seems ok when you look at her, but she only lays there, she bathed herself a bit today. what do you think?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Lilly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilly?
Customer: she was bored with a bad front paw, but she uses it to walk on her beaded leg and bathes herself with it. she has a small belly, she weights 12.5 lbs.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
SHE HAS STOPPED TO MEOU WHEN I GO TO LIFT HER, I CALL HER NAME SHE LOOKS AT ME THEN CONTINUES SLEEPING LAYING ON A SMALL MATTRESS ON THE FLOOR. IT DOES NOT SHOW AN INTENTION OF GOING TO HER BOX.
I HAVE BEEN WAITING 45 MINUTES??
11PM TODAY SHE JUST WENT TO THE BOX TO URINATE
Answered in 1 day by:
7/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question. The site may have glitched which can occur sometimes,but I do apologize. How is Lilly today?

Did your veterinarian check any blood work on her?

I am still no satisfied with this type of answer, really what does it helps with my cat 's problem?

It was not an answer it was requesting additional information so I can give you an answer.

How is she doing today ? Is she still the same or are there improvements?

If she is not showing any improvements then I would recommend getting imaging done on her abdomen to see if there is an issue in an organ system that did not show on the blood work. An ultrasound would be my first choice as it will pick up blockages, inflammation in the liver, pancreas or kidney or stones in the bladder.

I would also recommend ( if she is not feeling better today) that tomorrow we get her back in and hospitalize her on IV fluids and medications to help her through this.

Something is obviously wrong and to get the answer we need more diagnostics and to get more aggressive with therapies to help her.

This could be pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, and unfortunately this could also be cancer.

Imaging will help us get closer to, or be able to make a diagnosis.

Pancreatitis is potentially a metabolic disaster. Here’s why:

The normal pancreas has a number of safeguards in place to keep its digestive enyzmes securely stored. If these enzymes escape and become active, they will digest the body! This is exactly what happens when the pancreas gets inflamed: the enzymes escape, become inappropriately activated, and begin digesting the pancreas itself. The living tissue becomes further inflamed and the tissue damage quickly involves the adjacent liver. Toxins released from this orgy of tissue destruction are released into the circulation and can cause a body-wide inflammatory response. If the pancreas is affected enough so as to disrupt its ability to produce insulin, diabetes mellitus can result; this can be either temporary or permanent.

Complications

Certain disasters complicating pancreatitis include disrupting surfactants in the lung tissue that normally keep the tiny air-filled alveoli from collapsing after each exhaled breath. Without surfactants, the alveoli close up and respiratory failure results.

Also, fats throughout the body are destroyed in an effect called the Weber-Christian syndrome.

Pancreatitis is one of the chief risk factors for the development of what is called disseminated intravascular coagulation, or DIC, which is basically a massive uncoupling of normal blood clotting and clot dissolving mechanisms. This leads to abnormal simultaneous bleeding and clotting of blood throughout the body.

Pancreatic encephalopathy (brain damage) can occur if the fats protecting the central nervous system become digested.

Fortunately, total disasters such as the above are rare
but be aware that the potential for such disasters exists
should the pancreatic inflammation get out of hand.
Most of the time, pancreatitis is confined to the area of the liver and pancreas.

• Pancreatitis can be acute or chronic (acute cases can reverse completely).
  • Pancreatitis can be mild or severe (acute cases tend to be more severe and mild cases may not even require treatment).

What Causes Pancreatitis in Cats?

Unfortunately, 90% of the time we never find out. We have some idea of possible risk factors, though.

• Trauma (getting hit by a car or falling from a great height)
  • An active feline distemper infection
  • Toxoplasma (a parasite) infection can involve the pancreas, although it almost always involves other tissues as well
  • There may be an association with pancreatitis and inflammatory bowel disease. The theory is that the abnormal intestinal disease leads to an overgrowth of bacteria. These bacteria are able to crawl up the pancreatic duct and cause infection in the pancreas.
  • Organophosphate insecticide exposure. Organophosphates are not commonly used in flea control any more but they are readily available in hardware and garden stores. They are also in some flea collars.
  • Use of drugs; drugs have certainly caused pancreatitis in humans and dogs but have not been proven to have done so in cats. Still, with a cat with a history of pancreatitis, it is prudent to avoid drugs that have been associated with pancreatic inflammation. Such drugs include azathioprine (an immune suppressive agent); thiazide diuretics, (furosemide); tetracycline (an antibiotic); valproic acid (a seizure control agent); and procainamide (a heart medicine).

Chances are the cause for a given case will never be revealed.

If your Cat has Pancreatitis, what might you Observe at Home?

In dogs and humans, this condition is associated with a lot of nausea and abdominal pain. According to one recent study in cats, though, only 35% of cats with pancreatitis showed vomiting and only 25% appeared to have abdominal pain. Fever is a possible sign but often the temperature will drop instead. Lethargy and appetite loss are consistent signs. Nearly all cats with pancreatitis lose their appetites, and about half of them will have been affected long enough to show weight loss.

Approximately 40% of cats with hepatic lipidosis have pancreatitis as the underlying cause.
Hepatic lipidosis represents a specific type of liver failure that stems from appetite loss/inadequate calorie intake and complicates pancreatitis tremendously.

Making the Diagnosis

The diagnosis of pancreatitis has been made substantially simpler with the development of the SPEC-FPL test, which stands for Specific Feline Pancreatic Lipase. This test can be run as an in-house test kit that yields a positive or negative result in minutes, or it can be performed at IDEXX reference labs to yield an actual numeric value for more accurate monitoring. This test is based on the Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity (PLI) test, which is available only at certain veterinary university diagnostic laboratories. Lipase is one of the pancreatic digestive enzymes and small traces are normally in the circulation. These levels jump dramatically during pancreatitis and thus the diagnosis can be made non-invasively without the expense of ultrasound. This form of testing is actually more sensitive than ultrasound, which means it can pick up pancreatitis in a milder state.

Of course, pancreatitis can be diagnosed on ultrasound as the inflamed pancreas becomes swollen and exhibits texture changes typical of inflammation. Pancreatitis can also be diagnosed by biopsy during surgical exploration as well though there is controversy as to whether removing a piece of pancreas actually generates additional inflammation. The advantage of surgical exploration, however, is that other organs can be sampled to get a more complete picture of what is happening in the abdomen.

The SPEC-FPL test has become a common addition to basic feline blood work and its elevation is commonly picked up in cats with no symptoms. The significance of this suggests (but does not necessarily confirm) an unhealthy bowel population has overgrown and is either elaborating material that is inflaming the pancreas or has actually invaded the pancreas. If the cat genuinely has no symptoms, treatment is not necessary; however, it may be prudent to consider a hypoallergenic diet or the addition of probiotics (live cultures of beneficial bacteria) to the food to assist in recolonizing the bowel into a healthier microbe community.

How is the Cat Treated?

There are three parts to treatment: removing the cause of the pancreatitis (this is usually not possible since the cause is only rarely known), general support and symptomatic relief through the inflammatory crisis, and monitoring and instituting protection against the disastrous complications listed above. Intravenous fluid therapy is used to support the pancreatic vasculature and combat any dehydration from vomiting or diarrhea. This simple act of perfusing the pancreas enables damaging inflammatory biochemicals to be flushed away and healing to begin.

Medicines are used to control pain and nausea. In the dog, high fat diets are important predisposing factors for pancreatitis but this appears not to be true for cats. Pre-existing inflammatory bowel disease seems to bear more feline relevance so treatment in that direction seems more appropriate (steroids, antacids, low residue diets or hypoallergenic diets). Anecdotally, digestive enzyme supplementations are felt to be helpful in some cases. In the past, food restriction was included in treatment to rest the sensitive pancreas but newer thinking is that the entire GI tract heals faster when food is passing through it.

A Note on Vitamin B12

The healthy pancreas manufactures a substance called intrinsic factor that is necessary for the absorption of vitamin B12 (cobalamin) from the diet. The unhealthy pancreas does not make enough intrinsic factor, and deficiency ensues when pancreatitis becomes chronic. This leads to an unthrifty and often anemic cat. Since dietary B12 cannot be absorbed, the only solution is to provide B12 by injection, usually at home, once or twice a week and periodically thereafter. Vitamin B12 levels can be tested to determine if supplements are needed; or, since the injections are relatively inexpensive and have a broad safety margin, sometimes they are simply prescribed without testing.

Prognosis

How the cat does in the long run depends on how severely ill he or she is. If the cat survives the episode of acute pancreatitis, there is a good chance that he or she will live a normal life thereafter. However, chronic cases of pancreatitis may wax and wane for years, requiring a permanent diet change and chronic medication administration.

The best recommendation I can make for Lilly is that she needs to get some imaging done so we can try and find the cause of these symptoms and then she needs to be hospitalized so we can get her hydrated and get IV medications on board.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian