Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My kitten that was sneezing is doing great. I think the

Customer Question

My kitten that was sneezing is doing great. I think the orphan kittens are right at 6 weeks old and they are in my garage. I wipe them with kitten wipes with aloe about twice a day. They are scratching some and I am not sure what to do about fleas.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Good of you to be looking after these little guys, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. At six weeks of age they are too young for the normal effective flea treatments most of which specify to be used in kittens older than 12 weeks of age. However in the meantime you can shampoo them either with a mild " human " baby shampoo or with the likes of Dawn washing up soap, these products are actually surprising effective in killing fleas. Just leave it to soak on nor five minutes or so and then be sure and rinse and dry them well.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How long will it keep fleas off because I don't want to dry their skin out too much?

It should be fine to do this every two weeks until they are 12 weeks of age ...

As I said this method actually does work quite well ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your kittens are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the flea issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jewels. How is everything going?