Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I just took in a cat from an older lady. She is very

Customer Question

I just took in a cat from an older lady. She is very overweight (22lbs) and was very dirty and flea infested. I gave her a bath with flea shampoo and as I bathed and rinsed her the was a large amount of blood that came off her. I checked her gums and they are pale and she isn't eating. Is this from the fleas and will she get over it in time?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Maggie and she's 2 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: she's kinda lethargic
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for taking in this girl. Maggie sounds like she's going to get the care and attention she needs. The "blood" that you saw was blood. But, it was blood that had been digested by the fleas and excreted in their stools. The "dirt" you saw most likely was a lot of flea dirt (flea poop) and when it get wet, it gets very red. Washing it all off allowed it to get rehydrated and to look rusty / blood like. At this time, getting her that bath has helped. What I'd also do for her is get her to your vet to have them start her on a topical flea product too. Her be pale could easily be a flea anemia. The fleas feeding on enough blood to take it out of her body. If the fleas are gone, then the blood loss is stopped.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?