Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have an 11 year old male cat. He is taking prednisolone 5

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old male cat. He is taking prednisolone 5 mg for possible IBS. I started cutting back yesterday from one 5mg tablet per day to 1/2 tablet per day. Last night I noticed he had trouble jumping on the bed, he had to try two or three times before he made it, now today he is taking a couple steps and then he lays down. He doesn't look like he is walking right. I don't know if he got hurt trying to jump on the bed or if it is something else. I did see him eat yesterday, but I didn't notice him eating today (although he may have).
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Tigger's situation. Do you feel he's breathing with a normal rate and effort? How long ago did your vet last evaluate him? Is he drinking today? Is he urinating normally?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he seems to be breathing okay, he was at the vet last month. I didn't see him drink or urinate today but he may have. I will pay closer attention to that. I just noticed something was wrong with him a few minutes ago.

Thank you for that information. Could he have just landed wrong and is a little sore and that is the root of all this? That is a definite possibility. Could it be something more? That can't be ruled out. If at this time he's breathing with a normal rate and effort, eating, able to be comfortable at rest, isn't having a leg that is being drug, or is getting more distressed - then time may be the big part of this getting better. Taking him down on his prednisolone dose shouldn't be the cause of this. The worry with any cat is if they have a lurking heart issue that may be causing them to throw blood clots - this can show as sudden issues with mobility of a limb(s). Typically these are very sudden, progressive, and pretty obvious that something is majorly wrong.

Please let me know what questions I've created with this.