Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Emma went to the ER last week and was diagnosed with an

Customer Question
enlarged heart and chf. They...
Emma went to the ER last week and was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and chf. They tapped her chest and put her on Lasix and Praxis as well as one other med that increases the strength of her heart contractions. All was fine (respiratory rate of around 32 all week). Today her rate jumped up into the 40’s. I gave her multiple doses of Lasix to help, but it seems that every 3 hours it wears off. She ears, sleeps, drinks and grooms herself, but the abdominal push won’t go away. Her next cardiologist appt is on Monday morning and I’m hoping to avoid another ER trip that we financially can’t manage.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** isn’t lethargic, she’s out of breath, possibly from fluid. Lasix isn’t helping longer than 3 hours.
JA: How old is Emma?
Customer: 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emma?
Customer: Her vet prescribed one half off 12.5 mg of Lasix twice a day with the option to give her another dose midday. I doubled the dose tonight and it bro.ught her rate back to 32, but it’s back up at 44 three hours later.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian