Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat fell off the second floor balcony. she isn't limping

Customer Question
my cat fell off the...
my cat fell off the second floor balcony. she isn't limping or anything, and she's happily purring away. as far as i can tell, she only has a scrape on her chin. i just want to make sure i know what to keep an eye out for if it turns out to be worse than that
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: yah
JA: It might be a fracture. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: domino, just under a year old
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: domino
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Domino.

It's a well documented fact that cats can survive falls of this sort with no significant injuries which is pretty amazing when you think about it!

But, on the off chance that there may be some sort of delayed reaction or issue, the following is what you'll want to monitor:

1. Her gum color which should be pale pink.

2. Her respiratory rate which should be 20-30 breaths per minute.

3. Make sure that she's urinating

4. She may be a little sore tomorrow so her activity level may be reduced but you won't want to give her any otc Aspirin since this drug can be toxic to cats. If she's a little bruised, she should heal within a week or possibly a little longer.

5. Monitor her appetite which should be pretty close to normal.

I hope this helps, Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Domino. How is she doing today? Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian