Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat was recently diagnosed with kidney issues and is now

having issues walking. Can anything...
My cat was recently diagnosed with kidney issues and is now having issues walking. Can anything be done to help him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: No, he doesn't jump up on things much anymore
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sam, he's about 16/17
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sam
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?
Customer: He's had blood in his urine. The local vet only mentioned that his kidney was starting to fail
7/23/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you describe what you are seeing or share a video?

Is he on any medication at this time?

He is sleeping right now but he is limping when he walks. This evening he felt the need to lay down while he ate his dinner.He is not on any meds.

Which limb is he favoring?

His back right leg is bothering him

If he's not on any medication, it would be wise to talk to your vet about placing him on a supplement for joint health (http://www.glycoflex.com makes a great product) and also using pain medication as needed. Some medications are safer than others for cats (especially those with known kidney problems) but at 16-17 years old making Sam comfortable will be the most important focus. At this age, it's very common for us to see arthritis and spondylitis in cats which can cause pain in their back and their hips. This may be why Sam is favoring his right rear leg. An examination would be wise and your vet will likely talk to you about x-rays. It will take a few weeks for the glucosamine product to help Sam's joints but the pain medication your vet can prescribe may give him near instant relief. You should see improvements in symptoms within a few hours.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Sam today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse