Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Shes been vomiting and when I was cleaning up noticed

Customer Question

Shes been vomiting and when I was cleaning up noticed long strings. So probably round worm. Found the stray kitten under my deck.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the stray kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just meow mix for kittens
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Diesel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Diesel?
Customer: For 1st couple days he was playing all the time and now is sleeping a lot.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you with this concern about Diesel.

Certainly round worms would be the most common internal parasite which a young kitten might have picked up and when vomited, tend to look like spaghetti or possibly long strings (although they should be thicker than string). If this is the problem, then there are otc worm medication which you can purchase at just about any pet or grain store. Paomate Pyrantel is the active ingredient and is sold under names such as Strongid, Nemex and Evict as well as others.

The dosage amount is indicated on the label; I recommend every two week for three doses. This is a safe medication so even if she doesn't have round worms, it won't be harmful.

You might see looser stools for a few days after he's given this medication but this is normal and shouldn't be worrisome.

I hope this helps, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Diesel. How are things going with him? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb