Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

KITTY HAS A HUGE SWELLING AROUND HER EYE. SHE HAS BEEN

Customer Question

KITTY HAS A HUGE SWELLING AROUND HER EYE. SHE HAS BEEN BIOPSIED TWICE AND HAS ALSO HAD A CT SCAN. THE CONCLUSION IS THAT SHE HAS PSUEDOMONAS AND/OR CHRONIC RHINITIS. WHAT IS THE BEST TREATMENT FOR HER?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: TABBY
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: TABBY IS NEARLY 17 TEARS OLD, SHE ALSO HAS A HEART MURMUR, UNTIL RECENTLY SHE WAS A HEALTHY, ENERGETIC CAT. NOW, WHETHER FROM AGE, OR MOST PROBABLY AGGRESSIVE TREATMENT SHE IS QUITE LETHARGIC, HER NOSE IS STILL BLEEDING AFTER THE SECOND BIOPSY, 3 WEEKS AGO. SHE IS BEING TREATED WITH METACAM WHICH HAS REDUCED THE SWELLING AROUND HER EYE BUT HAS NOT HELPED HER NOSE BLEEDING.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 3 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Have you tried Neo poly dexamethasone drops for Tabby's nose yet?

I also have used cerenia orally for chronic rhinitis at 1mg/kg once a day for long term management

You can also discuss with your veterinarian using cerenia injectable in a nasal solution for nasal drops at a ratio of 1:9. or you can put it in a nebulizer to be used for home therapy to help soothe and decrease swelling even further in her nasal tissues.

The bleeding part is difficult because she may need to be sedated to cauterize what is bleeding if they can reach it with the cautery.

I have seen these used to help with inflammation.

Unfortunately in this case there will be no cure but rather management of her clinical signs and symptoms to try and keep her comfortable.

I would also recommend getting the discharge cultured to make sure if there is a bacterial component (like pseudomonas) we get the appropriate antibiotic therapies started.

Good luck with your Tabby. I hope these suggestion help her.

If this was helpful and guided you on what to do I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney