Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

7 week old kitten had diarrhea all over my brothers bed, now

Customer Question

7 week old kitten had diarrhea all over my brothers bed, now she is limp, can't move at all, is barley breathing?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Vex?
Customer: She is the runt? When we got her a week ago she was the smallest in the batch. We've been feeding her canned food.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about Vex. It sounds like she is very unwell right now, and you really do need to try and get her seen by your local ER vet right away. Given her age, there are a number of possible causes for this diarrhea and extreme lethargy, including anything from an infectious cause, to intestinal worms, an internal organ issue, or even a congenital problem. Whatever the case, the degree of lethargy and the fact her breathing seems to be barely noticeable, is reason enough to get her seen immediately.

If she perks up in the next 5 minutes, or if you can't get her seen immediately, then you will need to monitor her extremely closely. For now, please keep an eye on your girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above, given her age, size and symptoms, she really does need to be seen immediately. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.