Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My pet ferret Armond has an injury to his leg. He seems to…

Customer Question
My pet ferret Armond...

My pet ferret Armond has an injury to his leg. He seems to be limping and I can see a big bruise under her belly and on his hind leg. He's dragging it and/or limping on it. We think he may have caught hi leg into a wire in his cage and then jumped down from a height that pulled his leg and injured it. Vet isn't an option until tomottow. Did some reading that says we could maybe give him a very low dose of aspirin. Med dosage is based on the MERCs manual for small animal emergency medicine. Boyfriend thinks we should administer the aspirin in a very low dose to help with pain and swelling. All over the internet has things saying not to give hyphen any aspirin unless at a vet. What do you say?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Seems to be a lot of bruising near the Kelly which is attached to the hind leg. He's dragging it. Blood red underneath the fur in some spots

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Armond?

3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Armond?

He's still eating and drinking and even wanted to play so his spirits are ok. But when I typically hold him under his arms and let him just hang he automatically curls both his paws up. The injured leg just hangs. But he doesn't whimper or shriek when he uses or or is handled. Just looks badly bruised. Just wanting to know if we can give him any amount of aspirin for pain as he is right now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/22/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am very glad you asked before offering Armond any Aspirin. Since he has bruising (bleeding under the skin) and trauma is suspected, Aspirin cannot be used on this occasion (plus its poor pain relief). This is because its also a blood thinner and you could actually worsen the bruising (and it can be a disaster is there was any internal bleeding). So, that needs to be avoided for him. And since our other OTC options are not safe (causing liver/kidney damage or stomach ulcers) and we'd want his vet starting a ferret safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) as soon as they are open. If you did have Tramadol on hand that could be an option but it is the only one in this case. Otherwise, we just need to rest him and to reduce inflammation and discomfort, you can warm compress this. If you do not have a warm compress at home, you can make one by filling a sock 2/3rds full of uncooked rice. This can be microwaved for a minute or so until warm. Shake it to distribute the heat (and do check its not too warm). This can be rewarmed as needed. And that would be best here since Aspirin use in a trauma case could do more harm then good for Armond.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

We did not give him the aspirin and filled a sock with rice and warmed It. He's cuddling with it now. He seems to be still eating and drinking and somewhat situating his toys which he does quite often anyways. Anything else we should watch for?

Hi again,

I had seen and was very glad that you didn't give it yet. That is why I noted to avoid it and didn't outline supportive care to block him absorbing it. Anyway, good to hear that he is otherwise acting normally and cuddling the warm sock. In this case, we'd just keep him calm, restrict activity to avoid any further injury risk, and keep an eye that his gums stay pink (I'd not expect a severe bleed but just with the bruising its wise to monitor that perfusion/gum color stays stable). Of course if we were to see active paling then that would be an internal bleed sign and a sign to have him seen urgently. Otherwise, rest is our best option for him just now.

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Just wanted to let you know that when we took Armond to the vet yesterday they found that his bone was clean broken off right above the knee in his right hind leg. The bone is actually just sitting in his muscle and completely detached and spaced about an inch from where it should be connected. The vet told us that he likely will need an amputation and referred us to a surgical clinic. He goes in on Thursday. In the meantime I'm really dumbfounded by how normal he's acting. The vet told us he's probably in A LOT of pain, and while I know that animals can hide pain very well, he's not showing any signs that he's in distress aside from being a bit more lethargic. im keeping in his cage to immobilize him, but when I let him out for a stretch he wants to run around and play with his toys. He's neve once flinched, screeched, or chattered - even when his leg is being handled and examined. He's eating and drinking, using his potty box. Other than being a bit more lethargic we've been puzzled why he hasn't acted any way one would normally associate with a broken bone.Can you tell me what you think this is about? Is it possible he injured a nerve and he's not receiving pain signals in the same way as before? We will definitely be getting the surgery done, but I'm curious if you know of animals that have had major broken bones who have healed naturally? What would happen if he didn't receive any treatment? Would he get an infection or another serious complication eventually? Let me know what you think. Still just so confused by his behavior right now. Thanks.
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago

Goodness, poor Armond.

That is quite a dramatic situation without a history of known injury and he is certainly putting a brave face on if he isn't showing any discomfort and still wanting to run around (obviously not something we'd want him to do). I'd not expect overt nerve damage unless he has no feeling of the leg (ie doesn't react like he can feel a pinch of the back toe). Furthermore, when we have cases that do have a loss of pain sensation, they loose motor function at the same time. So, if he as tried on occasion to walk on it (and can move his toes) then again that is less likely and his being stoic would be our main suspect with that.

Still it is good to hear that he has been referred to a specialist surgeon as they will be best able to assess this and determine if there is any hope (and they can often put these back together provided the bone isn't pulverized and you are able to rest him very strictly after surgery. Otherwise, just in regards ***** ***** further questions, the bone ends need to lay aligned to heal properly. If they are just left unaligned most bones will try to heal but we may end up with a big boney callus or permanent lameness. That said, if the muscle is in the way and there is a gap then leaving it would likely cause a "non-union" where the bone ends give up and dont' try to meet/heal. And those cases tend to lead to them just dragging the leg (though infection of the bone wouldn't be an issue unless bone had protruded through the skin).

So, I do think he is being very brave and I don't suspect nerve function loss here. But I do think we need that surgeon checking him and the xrays to see if we have some options to ensure we get this healed if we can do so.

Best wishes for Armond,

Dr. B.

*********************************************************