Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Best place to use a human pulse oximeter on a kitten

We tend to find these pulse ox's read oxygenation best by putting them on the ear (making sure to put the sensor over the little veins that are at the ear edge). The hair here is quite thin, but if you find it causes interference a bit of rubbing alcohol on the area tends to sort that out. Otherwise, we do sometimes use the tongue or even the vulva but these tend to be less practical in awake animals.

Read full interaction below »

Question

What is the best place to use a human pulse oximeter on a 13 week old kitten? I have a kitten on Orbax antibiotic with a congested chest. She just saw the vet today, and he heard the congestion. I'm trying to judge how well she is moving her air.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, as a licensed veterinarian, I would like to help you today.

We tend to find these pulse ox's read oxygenation best by putting them on the ear (making sure to put the sensor over the little veins that are at the ear edge). The hair here is quite thin, but if you find it causes interference a bit of rubbing alcohol on the area tends to sort that out. Otherwise, we do sometimes use the tongue or even the vulva but these tend to be less practical in awake animals.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her breathing is better Dr. b. Thank you so much. She now though is getting intermittent bout of diarrhea. Full appetite, no fever, no wheezing, respirations between 25-30 / min. Heart rate is normal, and only just slightly slow response for her scruff to snap back to position, she won't drink water from a bowl so I add 20 ml to her wet food and mix it. She is on Orbax for her lungs- her sister had a bad URI, and she started to get it. When my hubby listens with the stethoscope, we don't gear any cracking or wheezing anymore. ( hubby is a Chinese Doc..totally get that we probably have no clue what we are doing when it comes to vet medical, it just makes us feel like we are doing something). She also is pretty active about six hours out of the day. She only does the open mouth breathing if she is running for a long time. For the diarrhea, should I try to give her unflavored pedialyte or something to keep her hydrated?