Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Kitten has diarrhea. Kitten just has diarrhea. He is

Kitten has diarrhea. Veterinarian's...

Kitten has diarrhea.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the kitten?

Kitten just has diarrhea. He is sleeping now. Just trying to find info on what I need to do for him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

Socks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

Not that I know of.

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/20/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Socks who has diarrhea. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. While Socks could potentially have something infectious (such as salmonella or campylobacter), this diarrhea is more likely to be a problem called colitis (inflammation of the colon), due mainly to the stress of moving to a new environment, or from a change to a new diet. This commonly causes diarrhea and sometimes with fresh blood in the stool as well. You should also consider re-worming this boy just to ensure he doesn't have an intestinal worm burden. Hopefully he has already had some deworming treatment already, but do follow up with your local vet to get an appropriate all-wormer for his age and weight. Drontal and Milbemax are the most commonly used all-wormers for cats. If this diarrhea continues for more than the next 24 - 48 hours, then you will have to collect a sample of his feces to take to your local Vet to be sent away for a fecal panel to see if any infectious bacteria or parasites can be found/cultured.

In the mean time, make sure Socks is drinking plenty of water. If he isn't drinking much, then try to tempt him by making up a warm chicken broth. To do this, just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed him the warm soup. If he seems lethargic or starts vomiting as well, then you will need to get him seen first thing tomorrow morning, or potentially even by your local ER vet tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian