Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Milo had an ear infection and conjunctivitis. He had meds…

Milo had an ear...

Milo had an ear infection and conjunctivitis. He had meds which we were giving him. The other day (Saturday) he started sneezing. The vet said to put some of his eye drops in his nose. He stopped sneezing but now he's sleeping a lot. Eating but not energetic. He's a male cat, neutered, up to date on shots. His blood work turned out ok. 9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Milo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?

No,he's been fine until we took him to the vet :(

7/18/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me what symptoms you originally saw with the ear infection and conjunctivitis?

He had a regular appt with the vet for his booster shots. Rabies and distemper. They checked his ears and eyes at that time

I'm afraid I am unable to offer a call at this time, but I can help you online. One moment while I type a response.

Ok

I suspect two things may be happening here:

1) The vaccines are causing a mild reaction which is causing more sleep.
2) The conjunctivitis and sneezing were the first signs of an upper respiratory tract infection which has caused him to want to sleep more as his body is fighting off an infection.

I would urge you to have a recheck performed by your vet is Milo continues to sleep for an extended period of time. As mentioned, it's not uncommon for pets to sleep more after their vaccines and during ailments since their immune system has been stimulated. Your vet will be able to tell whether this is normal or abnormal following the diagnoses and treatments he's received.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse