Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I have a very haired cat. How can I keep her from getting

I have a very long haired cat. How can I keep her from getting mats & clumps in her fur? I brush her everyday but some just will not come out. I recently took her to the groomer and she shaved them off with much protesting. Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Boo and she is 12.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about and she?
Customer: She cleans herself everyday.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

This problem is really common in long haired cats ( I have one too so I can speak to this). I usually will shave my cat completely twice a year leaving his face and neck, legs and tail alone and this has helped exponentially.

The brushing after grooming appointments on a regular basis will help keep them in check as well now that you have a starting point. You can also just get her belly shaved if that is where most of the matts are occurring.

It really depends on the grooming maintenance and then maintenance at home.

Would you be up for Shaving Boo down the way I do my cat?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm not sure. It would probably be a good thing during the summer here in Texas. She is an indoor cat. Her mats seem to be mostly on her back and hips. Her belly is fine so far.

Then keeping up with the brushing every day is the best recommendation.

If she needs medications to make her less scared and stressed while grooming getting your veterinarian to script out some Gabapentin an hour before a grooming appointment helps a lot with my cat.

Sometimes in older cats they can get low grade arthritis which prevents them from being able to reach certain spots so I would consider getting her on a joint supplement for cats Antinol is a good one and you can get it online. This can help her joints so she can do a better job grooming

https://www.amazon.com/Antinol-Count-Health-Supplement-SoftGel/dp/B01NAULL08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500314336&sr=8-1&keywords=antinol+for+cats

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I know the groomer wanted to shave her but I said no and after the way Boo behaved when she was bathed I am sure the groomer was glad to see her go. LOL She is not around very many people and it is just Boo and I. I take her and have her shaved.

I am in Texas too and my little guy gets shaved every 6 months and he feels so much better because of it and I don't have to deal with the matts.

Hmmm yeah I would skip the bath and just do the shave and get the gabapentin from your veterinarian. it is a slight sedative with a light anti anxiety effect

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your time.

There are also some veterinarians who will sedate and do a complete shave and that way the cat is not stressed.

Try the joint supplement to help Boo be able to reach those hard to get to places.

There are also some mobile groomers who will come to your home and groom him and that way you can be there with him and help hold.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney