Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Two nights ago my cat came in from outside and vomitted.

Since then, he has been...
two nights ago my cat came in from outside and vomitted. Since then, he has been sneezing like crazy and retching like he has a hairball. When I left for work this morning, he wasa hiding on the under bed, which is very uncharacteristic of him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that we are aware of
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Whiskers - he will be 2 in August
JA: How old is Whiskers?
Customer: he will be 2 in August
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Whiskers?
Customer: he had all of his vaccines earlier this spring
7/17/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Whiskers.

It doesn't worry me too much when a cat occasionally vomits since it doesn't take much to trigger this response in a cat. The sneezing and retching, however, that he's doing could be secondary to either an URI or possibly asthma although there are other possible explanations, too.

1. Upper Respiratory Infections (URI) are somewhat similar to a cold in humans in that it is usually secondary to a virus with Herpes or Calici being the two most common causes of this condition in a cat.

Secondary bacterial infections can develop (the nasal and/or eye discharge can be green or yellowish in color) and when this happens, antibiotics are usually dispensed.

These episodes typically last anywhere from 10-14 days just to give you an idea of the timeline. Some cats will run mild fevers which is why they'll become more reclusive and may have a decreased appetite.

At home treatment options include:
-- Use warm water to clean the eyes and nose of any discharge that builds up. Over the counter artificial tears can be used to flush out the eyes if involved.

-- Nasal decongestant drops can be helpful although many cats don’t like them very much as you can imagine. The medicated ones (a-c below) should only be used for three days in a row, with one drop in each nostril; otherwise what’s known as a rebound effect may occur. This is one reason why I prefer"d":

a. Pediatric otrivin=0.05% xylometazoline

b. “Little Noses" Decongestant Nose Drops with phenylephrinehydrochloride
c. Oxymetazoline which is the primary ingredient in Afrin or Zicam

d. "Little Noses" Saline Spray/Drops non medicated which can be used more than three days in a row.

-- Probiotics such as Forti Flora have been shown to help many of these cats with URI's; probiotics aren’t just useful for gastrointestinal issues. This particular product is available as a powder which is sprinkled on the food every day and can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.

2. Feline asthma is also similar to asthma in humans in that there is inflammation in the lungs which is triggered by something in the environment such as pollens, smoke, aerosol sprays, etc.

This condition can sometimes be a difficult diagnosis to make and can resemble a simple "URI"; however, most cats with asthma aren't hiding. Chest x-rays might be suggestive as would bloodwork (eosinophils might be elevated but they aren't in every case).

3. I suppose if he had something like grass or a foreign body in his nose, he would behave as you describe but, again, I wouldn't expect him to be hiding.

I might consider some of the options I mentioned above but if he continues to behave as you're seeing or worsens in any way, then a vet visit may be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb

Whiskers likes to spend a lot of time outside during the summer. As he has gotten older his territory has expanded. I am concerned there is a possibility that our neighbors are treating their yards with weed killers or fertilizers and Whiskers is being exposed. could you comment on a cat's exposure to some of those lawn products, and if that changes my course of action?

I'd be happy to comment on the potential toxicity of these products.

In most all cases, weed killers and fertilizers aren't going to contain ingredients in large enough amounts which will be toxic to cats or dogs for that matter. If ingested or exposed while wet, then gi symptoms such as drooling or vomiting or diarrhea might be seen. But, if the exposure is after they've dried, then there's not likely to be any side effects at all.

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with him, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian