Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat had an abscess that burst before I could get him to

my cat had an abscess that burst before I could get him to an emergency vet hospital. He is an indoor outdoor cat and usually stays in the back yard. He got out this morning and has not returned as of 10;30 pm. I cant find him and am worried sick!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: He does have a cat door and several hiding places but I can't find him. It was very hot here today. Yesterday he drank water but this morning ate little.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy who hasn't come home as yet after having a burst abscess. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you...I am so worried.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. This is definitely a real concern and your boy could be in a number of spots right now. Given he has had an abscess that has burst, he is likely hiding outside near your home somewhere currently trying to groom the area as best he can. Cats commonly hide in this situation, as when sick or injured in the wild, they become potential pray to larger predators. As such, you need to very carefully scout around your yard again, shaking his regular food container, calling him and looking in bushes and the surrounds of your home, as that is most likely where he has gone. Please also head to the neighbors to let them know what has happened, and if they have garages or sheds, then get them to check those as well in case he has snuck in there while they were open (and they have been closed since).

Once you have him back home, you can then carefully care for and clean his abscess wound with some fresh salty water (a teaspoon of salt dissolved in a cup of luke-warm water) applied to the abscess wound 2 - 3 times daily for the next few days.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It's dark here now and I have made several rounds with a flash light to no avail. I will let the neighbors know in the morning. One neighbor appears to be out of town, maybe he's hiding in their yard? He is neuterd and doesn't wander but is very territorial. Thank you for your suggestions, Much appreciated

No problem at all. Hopefully there is a way he could get back in the house overnight if he returns? It may be worth leaving a window open for him if you think that is safe in your area.

All the best and I hope he comes back soon!

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc