Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat's voice is a higher pitch than it usually is. We

My cat's voice is a...
My cat's voice is a higher pitch than it usually is. We noticed it a couple days ago.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: Her voice has changed, it's a higher pitch than normal.
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: She isn't hurt. We're wondering why her voice is different.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Claudette
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Claudette?
Customer: Not that I can think of. She's eating, drinking and using the litter box like normal.
7/17/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Claudette who has developed a squeaky, higher pitched voice over the last little while. This seems to be relatively common in the cat and particularly so in some breeds such as the siamese. The most likely explanation for most cats, and therefore for your girl, is that she currently has a mild to moderate laryngitis. This condition can be caused either by infection, or from ongoing meowing causing inflammation in the larynx. If you girl isn't usually vocal then the most likely cause is an infectious laryngitis. Every now and then a cat will get a grass blade or similar foreign body stuck near their larynx and this too can cause a squeaky voice change. If your girl is otherwise behaving normally I would not worry about her. If however she becomes lethargic or loses her voice completely, I would encourage you to get her down to your Vet for a full oral exam and physical exam. Your Vet may decide your girl has laryngitis which is relatively easily treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for some time.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you. She isn't any more or less vocal than normal. Her behavior hasn't changed. I'll keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if necessary.

Great to hear she is otherwise ok. Continue to keep an eye on her (and an ear on that voice), and if her symptoms worsen, or if she hasn't improved within 3 - 4 days, do get her seen.

All the best,

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
She is doing well. We took her to our vet, she was due for vaccines anyway. They didn't find anything wrong and she was in good shape. They belief it was mild laryngitis caused by more frequent meowing. They prescribed some medication in case there's some inflammation.Thanks again.

No problem at all, and thanks for the update!

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian