Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I adopted a cat about 5 days ago. The first day and a half

Hi! I adopted a cat...
Hi! I adopted a cat about 5 days ago. The first day and a half that we had him, he had diarrhea. He also vomitted so I took him to the vet and she said he had a little pot- belly and an infection. She gave me an antibiotic and he's been taking it for about 5 days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, he's eating fancy feast kitten His diarhhea is better, it initially was watery - not even in form. Now it's still very soft and has some form. He steps in it when he covers it Should I still be nervous that his stool is so soft? I also feel like his belly is bigger, but that could be me being paranoid. He's eating a lot more too
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Jeter
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jeter?
Customer: He's been dewormed 3x, has his first vaccination
He is very vocal, plays normally - he occasionally sneezes and has clear gook around his eye s occasionally
7/16/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Thank you

1) Where did you adopt him?
2) What antibiotic is he taking?

3) Did they provide anything for the vomiting?
4) Is he eating the same food now that he was eating before being rescued?
5) Can you share pictures of his abdomen?
6) How old is he?

1) I adopted him from the Long Beach Humane Society in Long Beach NY
2) amoxicillin .21 mg2x a day for 7 days
3) yes, she gave him cerina
4) yes same food
5) I will attach a picture of him lying on the couch now
6) they said 10 weeks but I think he is younger
He eats about 2/3 a can 3x a day

10 weeks sounds about right for a cat his size. He does have a round abdomen but he's also eating a great deal of food, as well. You may want to try adding some pure canned pumpkin to the canned food to help firm his stool faster. Probiotics should also be considered if the symptoms persist.

It sounds like the antibiotics are starting to work since his stool was watery and now it is soft. It can take 7-10 days after starting medication to see a resolution of symptoms, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the stool being soft right now. The fact that he's eating, drinking and playing are all excellent signs. Does your vet have him scheduled for a recheck visit?

I am going next Sunday, the meds finish on Tuesday. I will definitely add the pumpkin. He's so vocal about eating and just being loved in general! Sometimes I feel that I'm not feeding him enough. Thank you for the peace of mind. I'm just so nervous he's sick and something terrible will happen!
Should I feed him less? They said he was eating about a can at the shelter

Be aware that too much food can also cause diarrhea, so don't be afraid to pick the food up. His strong appetite is a reflection of his health and an excellent sign despite the stool concerns. I would stick to what you're feeding now and no more until he can be examined. That's probably the reason he has a round belly. As time goes on, you'll need to feed more to accommodate for him growing. Hopefully his appetite will level out some with time, too.

Absolutely. Do you think I should take him in before next Sunday? That was the only day I could see the same vet as before, I can see a partner earlier. Sunday is 10 days from when I first saw her, will be 5 days after he finishes the amoxicillin

Not unless you see a change in his appetite, worsening of stool quality, vomiting, blood in the stool, etc. Essentially, if he stops making improvements he needs to be examined. He sounds like he's making the necessary improvements and the antibiotics are working.

Great. Thank you so much! I'm just am a nervous mommy and thought the issues would be resolved after 5 days of antibiotics but he is certainly improving

Sometimes it takes longer and that is okay so long as he's improving. What we're most focused on right now will be his appetite and energy level. It sounds like he's a healthy, happy boy despite the soft stool.

He is! He eats a ton, plays a ton and then sleeps. His bowl movements are regular despite being soft - 2-3 times a day. He's very cuddly, and purrs a ton. Thank you so so much for your help. I just keep reading how dangerous it is for him to have diarrhea and want him to be better.

You're very welcome. Keep me posted on your progress and let me know if I can help further.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse