Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He needs to lose weight. He is 13 years old. I rescued him a

year ago and he weighed...
He needs to lose weight. He is 13 years old. I rescued him a year ago and he weighed 10 pounds. Now he is 15! A part of it was just being in a home instead of a shelter. But he does need to lose maybe 2 pounds. He won't eat wet cat food at all, only dry. I have tried mixing it. He is not interested. And he begs for human food whenever I eat. I do not feed him human food at all but he is such a pest. He is on sensitive stomach dry cat food. I have reduced the amount. Is there anything I can do? The vet thinks wet food is the answer but he absolutely will not eat it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Boogie, like Boogie Nights or the Boogie Man! He is so mellow the vet has suggested I have him certified as a therapy cat.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: No. He has all his shots and my vet says he is in tip top shape, especially for a cat his age. He was declawed years ago and has been abandoned many many times. I have no idea why. He is the best cat, really a good guy.
7/16/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. Hopefully your vet has ran some blood work just to make sure there is a medical reason for him not losing weight. Usually most illness will cause weight loss in cats, though. There are a couple things to do at this point. You can have your vet determine his exact caloric intake needed for weight loss. Usually I just decrease the amount fed by 20-25%. Increase exercise can help as well. Playing with things he can chase, even wand toys, can help to increase exercise. If difficult to lose weight by just decreasing amount fed, I usually recommend a prescription diet specifically made for weight loss. Hill's Prescription Metabolic is one I use very often because it is made with ingredients that promote weight loss. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian