Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He's an older cat, but very healthy. He's been wandering

He's an older cat, but...
He's an older cat, but very healthy. He's been wandering around the house with no particular purpose. He just keep walking and walking. He doesn't acknowledge anyone in the family or anything in front of him. He's not running into anything. He just doesn't seem to be looking at anything in front of him. He has, however, stopped to eat. But afterwards, he stood near his dishes and his head kept moving back and forth as if he was deciding what to eat next, but he never did make a choice. I tried holding him and rubbing his head, but it was in constant motion.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I know of. He had something like this before. The vet gave him a steroid, I think. But I don't recall what the problem was. Perhaps arthritis or a sinus issue.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Milo. He's 12 or over. I'd have to check my records for accuracy.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milo?
Customer: He's prone to allergies. And he's had breathing issues...congestion. That seems to be an ongoing thing.
7/16/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer, I'm sorry to hear of this with Milo. Both vestibular (balance) and brain disorders need to be considered in an aimlessly wandering/circling geriatric cat and brain disorders are more likely because he's exhibiting a change in mentation (mental status) when he doesn't acknowledge people. His head tremor is also more consistent with encephalopathy (brain disorder) than vestibular disorder.

Encephalopathies can be either extracranial (outside the skull) such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys intoxicating the brain or intracranial (within the skull) such as brain tumor. A meningioma is the most common of the brain tumors in elderly cats. MRI is necessary to identify a tumor. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests are performed in the hopes of identifying an extracranial etiology for Milo's behavior which might be addressed conservatively with medications. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'll be taking him to our vet tomorrow. I'm concerned with his condition in the meantime. Is it dangerous to wait, and if not, is there anything I can do to make him comfortable or calm him down until then?

He'll exhaust himself wandering and so should be confimed to a small area until he can be attended to by his vet. If you happen to have a calming benzodiazepine such as diazepam (Valium) or alprazolam (Xanax) at home, please let me know and I'll see if I can give you a dose for it.

He was resting when I checked on him. Of course he got up when a got near him. He seems to be slowing down, even dragging a little in the hind quarters. I'd rather not drug him.

I understand. Confine him as necessary, then. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you. I will.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian